Churchill Insurance was among one of the UK’s first direct motor insurers. In 1990 it started selling home insurance and, over the years, has extended its services to now offer car insurance, home insurance, travel insurance, pet insurance, breakdown cover and van insurance. In 2003 Churchill was acquired by the Royal Bank of Scotland Group, making the bank’s insurance arm the second largest general insurer in the UK.
Churchill’s Life Insurance, which pays out a lump sum to your family if you die during the policy, is applicable for UK residents up to the age of 75. Churchill offers two types of life insurance:
Level Term – this is designed to pay your chosen amount of cover if you die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness during the policy. This remains the same for the duration of the policy, as do your monthly fixed payments.
Decreasing Term – this is designed to cover a repayment mortgage. Your amount of cover will reduce each month, to reach zero when your insurance ends. This works in the same way as the outstanding amount on a repayment mortgage with an annual interest rate of 8%.
Find out more
Over 50s Life Insurance
Churchill’s Over 50s Life Insurance, provided by AIG, is ideal if you want a policy that pays out a cash sum to help out your loved ones when you die. Monthly payments are from £5 per month and will not increase over time, and although you’ll stop paying after your 90th birthday, you’ll still be covered for the rest of your life.
Find out more
Mortgage Life Insurance
Churchill does not offer mortgage life insurance.
Critical Illness Cover
Churchill’s critical illness cover, provided by AIG, is called Critical3; you can take this out for an added cost at the same time as your life insurance. If you’re diagnosed with cancer, have a heart attack or suffer a stroke during your policy, you’ll receive a sum of money as long as you survive for 14 days after your diagnosis.
Find out more
Whole Life Insurance
Churchill does not offer whole of life insurance.
Income Protection Insurance
Churchill does not offer income protection insurance.
Churchill offers a range of insurance products including car insurance, home insurance, travel insurance, pet insurance, breakdown cover and van insurance.
Churchill Reviews and Ratings
Online reviews for Churchill are fairly mixed. Many customers note a positive experience with the company, saying that prices are good, the website easy to use, staff are helpful and services are to be recommended. Others however, are far less complementary, having experienced poor customer service and, negligent handling. There are no official reviews on Facebook, however plenty of people have left negative and angry feedback on it.
- A large, respected UK brand, now acquired by the Royal Bank of Scotland Group
- The second largest general insurer in the UK
- 2019 Organisation of the Year award winner
- Many positive reviews and happy customers
- Specialist in life cover for over 50s
- Competitive cover from £4 per month
- Smart Health services offered at no extra cost
- Online virtual assistant can make changes to your policy and offer additional resources
- Useful online life insurance calculator available
- Tesco gift card offered to new customers
- Many negative customers reviews, particularly across social media
- Includes reports of negligent handling and poor customer service
- Income and mortgage protection products not offered
- A fairly large, hard to navigate website